What is a Wisdom Tooth?
Wisdom teeth or adult teeth are the four teeth that are permanently located on the back side of the mouth. 2 pairs are located in the back corners, one on the upper side and one on the lower side completing the number of total teeth to 32. The usual age at which people get these teeth is later teen years or early twenties. They will not impart wisdom to you rather they have been named so because they appear in adult years when people have become mature. They can become impacted or lead to discomfort if they do not get enough room for development which makes them misaligned. Wisdom teeth that are not properly positioned might crowd or harm nearby teeth, the jawbone, or nerves. This can lead to wisdom tooth extraction in Islamabad.
Impacted Wisdom Teeth:
Pain, tooth damage, and other dental problems can result from impacted wisdom teeth. Occasionally they don’t cause any evident or immediate problems. However, because they are more difficult to keep clean than other teeth, they can be more susceptible to gum disease and tooth decay.
Anatomy of Wisdom Tooth:
The final set of teeth that erupt in the mouth are wisdom teeth, also referred to as third molars. However, because they are vulnerable to infections or injury, they, once in a while, need to be removed. Some people have problems with their wisdom teeth because they are impacted or have not fully erupted. One of these issues is aching wisdom teeth.
Symptoms Associated With Impacted Wisdom Teeth:
- A sore jaw
- Awful breath
- Soreness or bleeding in the gums.
- Growth of the gums.
- It’s challenging to open your mouth.
- Periodontal illness (Periodontal disease)
Benefits of Wisdom Teeth Removal:
- Cysts, jaw injury, and tumor risks are diminished.
- Protects the nearby teeth from harm.
- less oral issues in the future.
- Inflammation and discomfort are less likely.
Preoperative Preparations For Extraction of Wisdom Tooth:
An outpatient procedure does not require you to stay overnight at the hospital. Those wisdom teeth which are erupted completely can be removed easily while those which are half erupted are difficult to remove as gums need to be incised. The bony portion that lies over the gums is removed first and then the teeth are removed in portions because if whole teeth are extracted at once, it will damage the gums as the whole bone above the area will need to be removed.
During The Procedure:
You will have to go through the following steps before the surgery:
- Anesthesization: this will be local anesthesia, injected near the site of extraction. You won’t be unconscious rather you will be awake. Only the sensation of pain will be gone for a while.
- You will be administered sedation anesthesia.
- General anesthesia can also be given in case of a certain specific condition.
The procedure will be:
- Step 1: The incision in the area
- Step 2: Bone is exposed
- Step 3: Bone is removed
- Step 4: Tooth is removed
- Step 5: Gauze is placed over the area
What To Expect After Wisdom Tooth Extraction?
- Local anesthesia will not impact you for long but sedation or general anesthesia will impact you for a longer duration to get back your consciousness.
- You may expect a little bleeding at the site of surgery
- Pain will not be very severe rather it will be under control after taking over-the-counter analgesics like Tylenol etc
- Your dentist may give you specific prescription medicine.
- Cole compression against the jaw will also be effective
- Inflammation will be resolved in a few days
- Take rest. Do not go for any strenuous activity
- Hydrate yourself. Drink a lot of water. Avoid caffeine or carbonated beverages
- Eating only soft food is recommended as chewing can impart force against the jaws
- Avoid brushing your teeth for 24 hours after the procedure
- In most cases, dissolvable stitches are used but if it is not the case, you can schedule an appointment for the removal of stitches
- Avoid smoking or taking blood thinners as both can affect the process of healing
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Side Effects:
- Inflammation and bleeding are the common manifestations of any surgery
- Clotting of blood over the site of surgery
- Pain and edema are common after tooth extractions, especially in the first one to three days.
- You can have brief trismus (lockjaw), tightness, or discomfort when opening your mouth after a time-consuming procedure, like a tooth extraction.
- The extraction site can bleed within 12 hours as clots are difficult to form
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Cost in Islamabad, Pakistan:
The cost of wisdom tooth extraction in Islamabad, Pakistan may range from PKR 10,000 to PKR 30,000 per appointment. It varies according to the facility, the situation, and the clinician doing the extraction. Each tooth is assigned a fee based on the difficulty of removal and whether or not an anesthetic is used. Insurance is also a vital factor to consider, as different insurance companies offer differing amounts of coverage for these treatments. There are certain factors that are involved in the determination of the cost of extraction which is explained as under:
- Number of appointments
- Whether or not the tooth has fully erupted because if it has then it will be a normal surgery but if not then it will be a complicated surgery to perform
- Type of impaction under the tissues
- If the tooth has been stuck in the bone
Nerve Pain After Wisdom Tooth Extraction:
- Injury to the trigeminal nerve may happen. Your lower lip, chin, teeth, and gums may become tingly, numb, or painful as a result.
- Usually, this is not permanent as this usually lasts for a few weeks but if you still feel it after several weeks you need to consult your surgeon
- Daily activities like eating and drinking can become challenging after a nerve injury. On the other hand, nerve damage will only result in experiencing issues and won’t result in any weakness in your lip or tongue.
- When removing wisdom teeth, your dentist or surgeon will endeavor to minimize the risk of nerve injury, and they should advise you about possible difficulties before the procedure.
- When removing wisdom teeth, your dentist or surgeon will make every effort to avoid nerve damage, and they should advise you of the possibility of difficulties before proceeding with the procedure.
Why Choose Royal Cosmetic Surgery for Wisdom Teeth Extraction:
Dr. Afeef Umer Zia is a competitive Dentist with extraordinary skills. He is best at doing oral and maxillofacial surgeries which include Wisdom Tooth Extraction in Islamabad. As this is a delicate procedure that needs the expertise of a qualified dentist hence you should only go for a board-certified person who has experience in his relevant field. We at Royal Cosmetic Surgery are striving to provide you with the best medical care. You can trust us by booking an appointment. Call us on the given number or fill out the form below.