Beyond preventing cavities and tooth decay, restoring pearly white teeth, and straightening impacted or misaligned teeth, good oral health includes other factors as well. The condition and appearance of gums, as well as the possibility of infection and inflammation, is a frequently disregarded aspect of dental care. These safeguard radiant, healthy smiles when taken as a whole. For the purpose of reversing the effects of gum recession, dental surgery known as gum grafting in Islamabad is performed. An oral surgeon, called as a periodontist, uses healthy gum tissue removed from the roof of the mouth to fill in the receded gum lines. The procedure is quick and relatively straightforward.
Causes of Gum Recession:
Gum recession is a condition where the tissue that covers a tooth pulls away from it, exposing more of the tooth or its root.
The main causes of gum recession may consist of:
- Diseases like diabetes and others that raise the possibility of infection
- Shifts in hormones levels
- Periodontal disease
- Improper oral care
- Incorrect brushing technique or aggressive brushing
When to See the Dentist for Gum Grafting?
You must see your dentist if you are going through the following conditions:
- Your gums are bleeding even after applying pressure for sometime
- Gums are painful and thin and the pain is not going away
- Pain in your gums has become unbearable and more than that predicted by your dentist
- The roots of teeth have become visible
You must practice oral hygiene. This will itself prevent you from various problems which you will suffer from in the absence of it.
Types of Gum Grafting:
Gum grafts can be performed in one of three ways. Your periodontist will tell your about these options. He will choose the best one based on your particular requirements.
Connective Tissue Graft:
The most popular graft technique is this one, which is typically used in economically depressed areas. The exposed roots will be covered by your dentist by stitching underlying connective tissue onto a flap created on the roof of your mouth.
Free Gingival Graft:
Imagine that you need to strengthen your weak gum tissue. In that case, your dentist might use a tiny piece of tissue from your palate to affix to the gum tissue already present around your tooth. To avoid two surgical sites or when they need a large amount of tissue, your dentist might use freeze-dried human tissue from a different source.
This procedure uses gum tissue next to the exposed roots. The tissue must be strong and thick for it to be possible. In order to cover the roots, your dentist will first rotate a small piece of healthy tissue before stitching it in place.
How do you prepare for Gum Grafting?
- During an examination of your teeth with Afeef Umar Zia, if he suspects that your teeth need gum grafting, he will tell you about the type of procedures available.
- Once the procedure is chosen, you will be given a specific day for the procedure.
- You do not need to fast on that day.
- You’ll be given painkillers and other medications that might make it dangerous for you to operate a motor vehicle, so you’ll need to take a friend with you or arrange for a ride-sharing service to get you home.
The Procedure of Gum Grafting:
You dentist will:
- Give you local anesthesia
- Prepare the site
- Harvest the gum graft
- Place the gum graft
- Place sutures
The actual gum grafting procedure doesn’t take long. The periodontist has already located the donor tissue to be harvested and marked out the grafting area. You’ll be instructed to gargle with an antibacterial mouthwash after the sutures have been placed and the graft is fixed. You might also be asked to stay for an hour or two so your periodontist can make sure the graft is successful and there are no complications.
Gum Grafting Before and After Photos:
An operation to strengthen receding and thinning gums is done during periodontal surgery. The method lessens sensitivity and helps to cover exposed root surfaces.
To check on how the healing is going after gum tissue grafting surgery, Dr. Afeef Umar Zia frequently schedules a follow-up appointment. If necessary, he might in some cases take out any leftover stitches. The gums will look and feel healthier and tighter within two weeks of the tissue grafting procedure.
Depending on the type of gum graft done, you may experience post-operative pain. Your discomfort should be minimal to nonexistent if your palate is not touched. However, you might experience discomfort for a few days after the procedure if tissue is removed from your palate.
- The recovery time is less
- Soreness may persist in the area for somedays
- You can go back to your activities after some days.
- Eat soft foods, such as mashed vegetables and pudding.
- keep your mouth clean with a special mouth rinse
- Use mouth guards if you grind your teeth at night
- Keep a check for gum disease
- Have a conversation with your dentist about how he will mitigate your pain during and after surgery.
Pain management after gum grafting:
The following points must be kept in mind for pain management after gum grafting:
- Use gauze to stop bleeding, but don’t put it directly on top of the surgical site.
- Refrain from physical activity within 24 hours of surgery
- Avert pulling your lips apart to inspect the wound. Don’t take the dressing off and refrain from using your tongue there.
- On the day of surgery, refrain from brushing or rinsing your mouth.
- In order to kill bacteria, swish with mouthwash after the first 24 hours following surgery.
- lowered risk of gum disease
- lessens your vulnerability to tooth decay.
- The roots of exposed teeth are susceptible to decay and this will solve that problem.
- Teeth sensitivity should be reduced.
- Makes your smile more attractive.
The cost of Gum Grafting in Islamabad may vary. If you have insurance, you might have little or no out-of-pocket expenses for this procedure. Still the cost may depend upon:
- The locality of clinic
- The experience of the periodontist
- The cost of anesthesia and medications
- Other out of pocket expenses
Book your consultation with us:
If you also want to have Gum Grafting in Islamabad done as your gums are painful and your roots have been exposed then you can book your consultation with us at Royal Cosmetic Surgery Clinic Islamabad. We will be delighted to serve you.